Augmented World Scan (AWS) is a funny app meant to be used for discovery, recognizing (OCR) and search of everything is written there around you.
Scanning the world around you and searching for the information recognized, that is it!
In a nutshell :
1) select the search destination in the settings (Online dictionary , Google, Yahoo, Baidu or Ask – with google translation)
2) search for a text in the world around you to be scanned and point at it with your smartphone’s camera.
3) Narrow view window and focus on the specific item you want to search for.
4) wait for OCR to recognize it
5) when search frame becomes green (and reset search button appears too) press search button (the lens on the upper right)!
(If you don’t agree with the result, you can restart search through the reset button right below the search button)
6) Wait a bit and... get your result!
Base settings available :
- Search service to be used for information retrieving
- Source language
- Continuous preview enabled (recommended)/disabled
- Autofocus enabled (recommended)/disabled
- Use camera light
Advanced settings available :
- OCR engine
- Characters white list
- Characters black list
- Minimum confidence (higher requires more light and camera quality, whilst lower means to accept also more wrong recognized results)
Note : Asian search engines result (Baidu, jp.Ask) are being translated by Google translator directly!
part of the code utilized for this app was licensed under Apache License 2.0
by Google projects
tesseract https://code.google.com/p/tesseract-ocr/ and